Sunday, August 30, 2015

The First Week Back...




Welcome Back!


In The Library:

I always enjoy the hustle and bustle of the first week of school. The students and staff are thrilled to begin a new school year, excitement fills the halls this first week. I had students come into the library on their tours of school or on their hunt for Pete The Cat or The Mouse (from If You Take A Mouse To School).  I only had one day with students in the library for lesson this week. I am very impressed with how much our kiddo's enjoy books.      

This is what I think I look like the first week of school.
Ever the constant reminder of our quiet voice in the library.

I always go over the rules of the library and we say good-bye to our summer and hello to our school year. These rules are our basic rules of what to do in the library. We talk about them over and over again. 

I always like to share a book before they leave. I always read a picture book with the kindergarten classes. I tell the kindergarten students,  how excited I am,
that they will learn to read today and they all beam. I explain that the first step to reading is to be able to read the pictures. This is a favorite lesson for me and for my new kindergarten friends.

My first grade friends were awesome, they reminded me of the rules in the library. I don't think they left anything off the list. I have seen a lot of growth in our first grade class, over the summer. It was so nice to see them all here in the library.

We shared a favorite book of mine called The Library Lion by Michelle Knudsen. It goes right a long with rules and manners in the library. The best part of sharing my copy of this book is that some of the kindergarten classes signed this book and gave it to me at the end of the school year last year. It was very nice to be able to share it with all my first grade friends. 


The Library Lion

Not Only A Librarian:

I am also a grandparent this year. I can hardly believe my grandson, Carter is here at Kennedy. I thought that when my children went through school, here in Abilene, that the time seemed to escape me. With my son graduating from Abilene High School this May, he was my last child to graduate. But now, with my grandson here in our district and at Kennedy with me, I feel like I am going to relish this time with him. Best part of it all is that I get to see him each and every day. 


New Wow Book:

In the library we have several new books that will be featured in our WOW book display. This weeks WOW book is none other than Pete The Cat And His Magic Sunglasses. What a great book to say good bye summer and hello school.



DIY Adult Book Marks

The ladies in my book club shared this link (above, just click the link) with me for a free coloring bookmark by Dawn Nicole Designs. These adult coloring items are quite popular. I hope you enjoy them. I am using mine everyday.

What Are You Reading:

I am often asked "What are you reading?".  I like to share the books I read both independently and through my book clubs. I hope these selections inspire you to pick up a book. Last week I told you of some of my favorite summer reads and I have received several messages about these selections and how others have enjoyed them or are going to try them. 

Let me tell you of the latest book I finished and my current read that I just started. Actually, I am also listening to an audio book too.

 Last week I had showed you I was reading Kimberly McCreight's book Where They Found Her. This book trailer and a bunch of blogger/book club friends convinced me that this should be my next read and I am so glad they did. 

 My Review: This author, Kimberly McCreight is new to me. She has another novel out that is called Reconstructing Amelia which is on my tbr pile (who knew?). This is creepy but very well written and I couldn't put it down. Things unfolded and kept me reading into the night.

This novel combines psychological suspense with an emotionally powerful story about a community struggling with the consequences of a shocking discovery.

At the end of a long winter, in Ridgedale, New Jersey, a body is discovered in the woods near the town’s prestigious university campus. No one knows who, or how her body ended up out there. But there is no shortage of opinions.

When freelance journalist, Molly Anderson is called upon to cover the story for the Ridegdale Reader, it’s a risk, given the severe depression that followed a recent loss of her  own. But the bigger threat comes when Molly unearths some of Ridgedale’s darkest secrets, that goes back some, twenty years.

Told from the perspectives of Molly, Barbara, and Sandy, Kimberly McCreight’s profoundly moving novel unwinds the tangled truth about the death revealing that these three women have far more in common than they realized. And that their lives are more intertwined with what happened than they ever could have imagined. 

I hope you will read it and let me know your thoughts. I am anxious to discuss this book with my friends who recommended it to me. 

My Current Read:

The Mountain Story by Lori Lansens

 The other book I am listening to on audio is the second book in The Outlander Series Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon. I got hooked on the HBO series and now I am listening to this book on CD. It has 33 disks so I am glad to be listening to it instead of reading it. I think I will get through it a bit quicker.
 

Happy Reading!

Mrs Shamhart

 

No comments:

Post a Comment