Sunday, September 8, 2013

Wild about books...in the library.

  

This week in the library was a busy one. I am starting to learn most of my kindergarten friends names. We accomplished our first check out, of the school year and oh my, were we excited!

See a picture of Mrs. Willey's friends reading quietly:



This week in kindergarten we shared 2 books Where The Wild Things Are By: Maurice Sendak and Little White Owl by Tracey Corderoy. Kindergarten worked hard on sharing their ideas of what they might look like, when they get wild. See their chart of ideas:



We also created a poster for each classroom to post. After reading the Little White Owl We made a poster about "Good Friends" See it here:




My first grade friends had a great week. We are falling right back into the swing of things here in the library. It makes me smile to see their growth, I am lucky to witness it each year. It never ceases to amaze me just how much they grow over the summer.

On Wednesday we had our first check out of two books (Whoop, Whoop! Silent Cheer). We read the book Do Unto Otters by Laurie Keller. What a terrific book to share about manners. More than that, a life lesson and an opportunity to "THINK" about how we want to be treated by others. How our actions dictate how others will treat us. It was an amazing discussion. Each class just kept it going and I absolutely loved seeing the wheels turning. See the poster we made for all classes here:  
 


 On Friday, we started our project of making a 1st grade powerpoint, in the library. We are creating the powerpoint to share the years worth of sight words. This powerpoint will be put on the classroom IPADS and we will attach it to the Kennedy website. This will enable students to practice their sight words in class and also at home. Please keep watching for this powerpoint to be added, sometime soon. I will keep you posted, as to our progress. A big thank you  to Mrs. Funston and Mrs. Markley for all their help. You both ROCK!  Here is a sneak peek at a couple of our pics we took Friday.


 







This week in the library our spotlight book was selected by Mrs. Hocker. Her book choice is  a great one called, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom By Bill Martin Jr. This is a rhythmic and rhyming young children's book depicting a lowercase alphabet with attitude. Great book for learning the alphabet.  See it here:



Our fact of the week was added by a cool app I found called fact a day wombi .  See the fact we shared this week. Pink Paper Swans is a wonderful story about the art of Origami.




I had an amazing time at the 2013 Kansas Book Festival, on Saturday. I got to meet several authors and attend a few presentations, tour the Kansas State Capitol  (oh what a beautiful library they have) and meet plenty of vendors. I was so excited to be there and be part of it all. Here are some pics of the festival and of my haul I took away.
      Kansas State Capitol Library






 
The 15 Notable Books for Kansas 2013








Echos of Kansas Past By Eunice Boeve



 Hope Amid Hardship By Linda Johnston
  
These authors were amazing. I had lengthy conversations with them and they were the highlight of the festival. I will be reading both of their books. Thanks ladies, for making it such a wonderful day.
This is my haul I took away:

 2 Kansas Festival t-shirts, A Kansas Festival tote bag, 7 books from various authors, loads of vendors information,  about 40 different book marks, 6 pens, 2 bracelets, loads of book info. and pamphlets. It was an amazing day!


I spoke about the Slant button last week which stands for Sending Love Across the Nation to Teachers. I got my matches this week and I am looking forward to getting to know both of these ladies. I will let all of you teachers know when the next sign up for SLANT is. I will also reveal when I get my package at the end of the month. For those of you who are not teachers there is another type of exchange called the CARA Box. I posted a button at the bottom of my blog, you may want to check it out. Here is the link: http://www.wifessionals.com/p/cara-box-exchange_4.html
 
 
This was a very busy week not only at school and in the library but in my family. My grandson Carter started preschool this week. Can't believe he is old enough to go to preschool but I know in my heart he is ready. He wears his joy in his smile. So very proud of you Carter!




 Enjoy a good book for yourself and share one with your kiddo. I am currently reading a YA 
(young adult) book the title is  before i fall  by Lauren Oliver.
I love this quote from before i fall  " So many things become beautiful when you really look."

I would love to hear what your reading. Leave me a message/comment on this post, maybe I can read your book choice and share it, right here on my blog. I will try to post about what I am reading each week. 

Happy Reading,
Mrs. Shamhart





No comments:

Post a Comment