Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Mo Willems Author Study And So Much More...

Where Did April Go?

 We shared our Earth Day Story time and  enjoyed reading several books. We also had our friends from Holm Automotive come in to read some Earth Day books to us, as well. I hope the students came home with lots of knowledge about Earth Day and what they can do to help our Earth.



 

In the library we shared the books Just a Dream by Chris Van Alsburg and 10 Things I Can Do To Help My World by Melanie Walsh, The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and Our Tree Named Steve by Alan Zweibel.  

We also played a game where we got to mix and mingle, quietly, (it is a library after all) and ask different friends, questions about recycling and saving energy. It was a lot of fun and really helped to remind each one of us what we can do to help the world.

   Find A Friend Earth Day Mingle

 I am sharing the link above for a free copy of this mingle. It is a lot of fun. It's offered by the wonderful Second Grade Stories on TPT.  It goes hand in hand with the book 10 Things I Can Do To Help My World. 

 Author Study

In the library this week we are reading all of Mo Willems' pigeon stories. Our kindergarteners are learning how to draw the pigeon. Our 1st grade friends are actually creating their own pigeon stories. I'm super excited to see how these all turn out. Creating these books are quite a process: We are trying to include Mo Willems' writing style in our books.  Things like speaking and/or thinking bubbles, the begging and pleading grid, keeping the story interactive and many of the same characteristics in his illustrations as well.

 This is always a favorite writing activity for my students. It is one that I try to include each year because I love it as much as the kiddos do. I am including a link to Mo Willems directions for drawing the pigeon, my K-1 kids love it.

 How to draw the pigeon by Mo Willems

 

My List Of 10 Bookish Things

This time of year I am always compiling all the bookish things I love and over the years I have created quite a list. I will share a few of the newest additions to my bookish list of must haves. 

 

 This is just so cool and I wish I would see more of them. What a great way to promote reading and literacy.


 Love this shirt and I have it ordered!

 These beach chairs are amazing and I am sending Penguin Books an email to see if I can get 2. Kind of perfect for our summer reading.

 Love this scarf but I want the text to be from The Giving Tree By Shel Silverstein

 I love the concept of this headboard...It might just push my husband over the edge. HAHAHA

I have a lot of bookish bracelets...but not this one and I kind of love it.

 These next 2 kitchen items are so cute. I have been wanting to get the tablet holder for when I am cooking but came across the (above) cookbook utensil holder and thought how unique and creative.


 Oddly enough, I love the scent of new books so this candle is a must have.

 This phone case cover is so cute. It has the spines of children's books displayed on the back.

 

 I am currently working on the summer reading challenge and summer booklist. I hope to have it posted next week.

 

I am currently reading the YA book  The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige Mckenzie. This is a page turner, I just started last night and I can't stop thinking about it. I can't wait to pick it up again, this evening.

I don't know about all of you but this weekend my grandson and I are planting our flowers and getting the garden in. Wish us luck.  I will get some pics and share next week.

Happy Reading!

Mrs. Shamhart

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Do they make a candle that has the scent of OLD books ? The ones you read when you were a kid and now buy when the Library Boosters have their sale and when you open them the smell makes you 9 years old again...

    ReplyDelete