Friday, February 14, 2014

Love is in the air...Valentines Day, Good Friends and Good Byes.

Happy Valentines Day!
May you always have love in your heart and a book in your hands.

This week in the library, you guessed it we talked about Valentines Day and friendship. We read some of my most favorite Valentines Day books. 


 We did some brainstorming about Valentines Day, friendship and acceptance. We made connections and shared our thoughts and ideas. Some of these brainstorm sessions take off in an unexpected way. We had some real fun laughing and sharing this week over some of our fun valentine ideas.
It's never been more true, what they say "Out of the mouths of babes".  Thanks for the giggles this week friends!

We shared valentines and oh my goodness did I get some amazing valentines. Each year they seem to get more and more creative, I love it. I got so many valentines, see my haul here: 

But one of my friends knows we have a connection not just to books, but to our nails. She got me a valentine that included a bottle of my favorite OPI nail polish!!!! Here's a picture after I did my nails using my favorite red polish by OPI, Big Apple Red. What do you think Rylee?
 But I have to say I was very excited when my husband surprised me with a dozen roses, he is pretty amazing. I am a very lucky lady to have so many people think of me during this special day.

I know my gifts for my husband were heartfelt even though they weren't as amazing as his gifts. They may even need a little explanation...heehee. Well he is actually watching what he eats and I was trying to encourage the healthy eating. He has one cheat day, every 2 weeks where he enjoys something yummy and I thought it would be nice to have root beer floats (they are a favorite of his and he hasn't had one since Father's Day) and I got him a video gift card to watch a movie tonight. Happy Valentines Day, John!
 





This week in the library we also, enjoyed sharing about many of the books we are reading in our Winter Read-a-thon. I am so impressed at just how many kiddo's are participating and how many adults have sought me out in person, on line, through this blog and on bloglovin to let me know that they are excited to also be participating. I am finding so many new books (that I have now on my reading list) from those of you sharing what you are reading, keep those book selections coming. I love hearing that you are reading and who knows it may be my next read.

I wanted to give you my review on my latest 2 books. I shared with you that I read The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty and from my book swap I received The book Always Something There to Remind me By Beth Harbison first off let me just say I absolutely love both of these authors and try to read all of their books.

The Husband's Secret By Liane Moriarty


The story of The Husband's Secret unfolds from the third person perspectives of three women, Cecilia, Tess and Rachel. At first the connections between these women is unseen but the secret Jon-Paul has been keeping for decades will change them all.

Cecilia has been married to John-Paul for fifteen years, they have three bright and beautiful daughters and a busy, happy life. Cecilia is the P&C president, a successful Tupperware host and her neat and orderly world is shattered when her husband returns early from a business trip.
Tess is devastated when her husband announces he has fallen in love with her best friend, cousin and business partner, Felicity. Her only thought is to escape and she abandons her life in Sydney to return to her childhood home. Tess isn't interested in renewing old friendships but finds she can't resist the attentions of an old flame. Every day is an effort for Rachel. It is only the presence of her toddler grandson that relieves the grief that has haunted her since her teenage daughter was murdered more than twenty years ago, and now her son and his wife are moving to New York.
Bereft, Rachel renews her obsession with the man she suspects murdered her daughter, a man that teaches at the school where she is a secretary, a man she is convinced is really a monster.

Moriarty winds her way through a minefield as her story explores the very personal implications of choosing between right and wrong. I'm desperate to avoid spoilers so I can say little except that the author challenges the notions of guilt, of punishment, of justice and redemption.

The Husband's Secret is a compelling, thought provoking novel, inspired by an article about real life deathbed confessions and their surprising consequences. An intriguing examination of conscience, love, betrayal and forgiveness this novel will stay with you well after the last page has been turned.

Always Something There To Remind Me by Beth Harbison  


Is teenage love real? Can love this young, last forever? Erin Edwards faces these questions among many others in Always Something There to Remind Me.

The story flips from past to present each chapter. We see Erin's relationship form with Nate Lawson from glances to each other at a party to the most intense, young love. When their relationship suddenly turns sour and they break up, Erin doesn't believe she can go on living without him. But, of course, she must. And she does. For 23 years, Erin lives without Nate. So, when Erin is asked to take the next step with a beautiful, nice, successful man, why are thoughts of Nate springing to mind? Is Erin really in love with this man? Is she still in love with Nate? Is Nate in love with her? Does he even remember her? Erin soon finds all the answers to these questions and more. One fateful day she runs into Nate and they realize not much has changed in 23 years. Will they be together? Is it too late?

I loved this book and it hit home for me. I connected to the time, the music in the story, the character and I are close to the same age and it felt like taking a trip back. Thanks once again to Beth Harbison for another great read!

Happy Reading,
Mrs. Shamhart




On a personal note:



This week for me personally, it has been a bit of a struggle as I have a friend who is battling cancer and is slowly losing his fight. After some 30 plus years of friendship this is hard to accept. Unfortunately, I am not able to make the trip to Florida before the end of the school year. 

Yet, I wanted my friend to know the impact he had on my life and I didn't want to miss the opportunity to tell him. I decided to write him a letter. Ponder that for a moment... A letter to a friend that you know is losing his fight and yet what do you say? What do you say without dwelling on the inevitable? This was a challenge, a heartache but I was compelled to write it.

Since I've finished the letter; I have laughed, cried, thought about the memories. I've cherished this friendship and appreciated the significant impact this courageous individual has had upon me and my life, now it is time to share it with him. It feels as if there is some finality to all of this, once I share my letter . For some, they may find this a relief, it leaves me feeling a bit helpless. My hope is that it will bring him and his family some comfort. I know my memories will not fade, as they are as vivid as yesterday and I carry them with me.

I decided to share this here on my blog, today, Valentine's Day, in hopes of encouraging everyone to take this time to let those you care about know of your feelings. It seems on Valentine's Day this comes a little easier to us all.

 
Happy Valentine's Day,
Mrs. Shamhart


 

No comments:

Post a Comment