Monday, February 24, 2014

Presidents Day And So Much More....

This week in the library we were busy, busy, busy! Presidents Day gave us a day off but we had to make up for lost time in learning about my hero...Abe Lincoln. I grew up in Illinois so for me I learned all about Abraham Lincoln much like the kiddo's in Kansas learn about Dwight D. Eisenhower.








Then our kindergarten friends also, enjoyed the books called Snow Day by Barbara Joose and The Snowy Day By Ezra Jack Keats. These are wonderful books and fit into our story time perfectly since we have been experiencing so much snow lately. We have even been able to enjoy several snow days.
The students were able to make connections with the characters in the story as well as brainstorming what types of things they enjoy doing on a "Snow Day".
Our first grade classes worked on their non fiction book reports this week in the library. We selected from over 25 different farm animals. It has been a lot of fun learning about our animals. We selected and read our books, then shared our books with a partner.


We began writing on our graphic organizer this week and will finish up next week. Can't wait to see the final product and read their book reports. This project always makes my heart sing. I can see just how much they have grown.

Our fact of the week was offered by Cameron and Mrs. Hagedorn as they read through Cameron's book on The Ostrich.
Our Spotlight Book is a wonderful book about...you guessed it snow, snow and more snow!
I love this story. Katie And The Big Snow by Virginia Lee Burton.
 
 Winter Read-a-thon...
We have had our first friend turn in their reading log for the winter read-a-thon. Way to go, friend.
 
I kind of love this! 

My current read has been wonderful and yes I am going to reccommend it to you.
This weekend I finished up the book Starry Night By Debbie Macomber.

I am a huge fan of Macomber's and this book didn't let me down. It was a short little book.
I had it on reserve since December at the library and it finally came in. Even though I felt like this was a holiday book, it was so short, I didn't mind reading it now. Although, typically, I am one of those that likes to read holiday books around the holidays to get me into the spirit, (ha! like I really need any help).

Carrie Slayton is a successful writer for the Chicago Herald, but she feels trapped in the job, and the city. ( I love Chicago and it's my home, totally couldn't relate to this). She wanted a role as a journalist, covering real stories, not weddings and the society page. And, she misses her family in Seattle as holiday season approaches. However, when she begs her boss for a real assignment, he sends her on a quest. Come back from Alaska with an interview with reclusive author Finn Dalton, and she can call her shots at the newspaper. Carrie's determined to make that happen.

It will take a determined reporter to break into Finn Dalton's life. But, Carrie Slayton is desperate, and she has a secret weapon. She talked to Finn's estranged mother. But, that may prove to be a hindrance rather than a help because Finn has bitter feelings toward the mother who deserted him.  It's going to take more than determination to reach Finn Dalton's heart. It's going to take a Starry Night in Alaska.
This book was short, sweet and romantic. Enjoy!

My next book I am just beginning is called Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty.
I loved the last book Husbands Secret so much I wanted another one of her books. So, Here I go.

The premise to this story is about 3 sisters, triplets, celebrating their 33 birthdays and what life brings.
I am looking forward to getting started. It is chic lit at it's finest. I will give you my review next week.


My high school aide Hannah reading with one of our friends: 


 

32 Great Reasons to Read a Good Book.

32 reasons to read great booksHere are 32 great reasons to read more books.
To escape your normal life.
To travel to real destinations.
To explore new worlds.
To imagine more than you could on your own.
To understand something new.
To understand something old.
To connect with the author.
To connect with other readers.
To dream a new life.
To compare dreams, realities, and in-between.
To laugh and enjoy.
To deepen your understanding and insight.
To know more than you could learn on your own.
To learn what you don’t know.
To learn what you do know.
To discover something extraordinary.
To meet incredible characters.
To build a larger vocabulary.
To cry after a great read.
To be entertained by a great story.
To relax with a great storyteller.
To stimulate thought.
To grow your spirit.
To find motivation to do more.
To go on a great adventure.
To learn how others live or have lived.
To expand your horizons.
To explore inner dimensions.
To educate yourself.
To inspire your own writing.
To learn how to change the world.
To discuss in a reading group.
To share a good book with your friends.


Happy Reading,
Mrs. Shamhart

Notice my new swap through chaotic godess swaps. Love these swaps and the ladies who put it together. Sign up you will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment