Monday, March 3, 2014

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss


This week in the library we are enjoying Dr. Seuss stories and an author study, as well. I absolutely love Dr. Seuss and after a week of sharing it I am speaking in rhyme. I will be posting some of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes and pics throughout this weeks blog. Two of my favorite quotes because both of them encourage thinking!!!
 
I have to say this week of celebrating Dr. Seuss and his many accomplishments is one of my most favorite weeks of the school year. The quote above is one of my most widely used quotes in the library. I like to remind my friends that we need to think and imagine when we read but also, each and everyday with all things we do, before we react.


 I love reading Dr. Seuss, I love dressing up like a cat in the hat, I love the visit from the Cat in the hat and listening to him retell his infamous story.
We enjoyed finding out facts about Dr. Seuss like this one, which is our fact of the week.
Our spotlight book for the week is my all time favorite Dr. Seuss book:
Horton Hatches the Egg which I read aloud this week. I simply love this story.






This is the door Hannah (my high school aide) created for the Seuss celebration and for the library.
Thanks a bunch Hannah it turned out great!!!
We had a wonderful time getting ready for the arrival of the cat in the hat. We were all super excited,
Teachers and kiddo's alike!





















 Waiting for The infamous Cat in the Hat!!!


 The Cat in the Hat reading his own story!



My first grade friends finished up their graphic organizers in the library this week and they did a super job. I can't wait to see their finished book reports. See a sample of the finished graphic organizers.




I have several friends who have turned in their Book Challenge winter-read-a thon!!!!
Wahoo! I am so super proud of all of you. I can't wait to see how many more start to roll on in.
Here is a picture of the friends that completed the read-a-thon this week and the Dr. Seuss goodies they will earn...Yahoo!


 Congrats to the friends who completed the challenge.
I am super proud of each and everyone of you.
Here are the prizes they took away.


I finished my current book Three Wishes by Lianne Moriarty. I am so happy to say that I have finished my 5 books for the Read-a-thon too. I have read The Apartment by: Greg Baxter,
The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, Always Something There To Remind Me by Beth Harbison,
Starry Night by Debbie Macomber and the latest Three Wishes By Liane Moriarty


I loved this book! Cleverly written, Three Wishes made me laugh, cry, and it made me reminisce about my daughters and my relationship with my mom.  It definitely falls into the category of Chic-Lit. Yet, that doesn't limit the action in this story.

You should definitely pick this book up if you like suspense, a heartwarming story or good laugh.




My next read is called When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. Everyone in my book club and several others through this blog have recommended this book. I finally, got it from the public library after being on hold for sometime. It is a big book( it says 352 pages but the print is small) this one may take me a while.



Happy Reading,
Mrs. Shamhart

No comments:

Post a Comment