Sunday, October 27, 2013

Books,Games, And Fun In The Library.



Oh my goodness, it is offically the end of the 1st nine weeks. Wahoo! In honor of our short week and our busy 1st nine weeks we celebrated in the library. We checked out books on Monday and shared stories on the carpet. On Wednesday every class played board games.

We had so much fun playing Candyland in the library. I was kind of surprised at how many friends have never played a board game. Heads up out there, the students loved it! We had so much fun.
We did have a few that were upset that they didn't win. But another learning experience to explain about being a good sport. All in all in was a great week.

I hope everyone got a chance to come in and visit their students, classroom teacher and find out just how much your kiddo is learning at Kennedy this school year. I am so impressed with all of their growth. It is probably one of my favorite perks of working in the library, watching the students there learn and grow. It never ceases to amaze me.

Here are some pics of our game play:








An update on our military donations: Our baked goods were collected by staff along with letters from teachers and even some from students. We added this to our 18 boxes of donations and shipped it all out on Tuesday afternoon. A great big thank you to Katie Hinkle and Tanya Hagedorn for all their help. This took a school wide effort and was a huge success. Can't wait to hear back from our Military Heroes!




     Reading Challenge
Check out my Reading challenge button at the top of my blog.
Challenge still has a month and a half to go. It's not to late.

This week I have been reading What Alice Forgot by: Lianne Moriarty

Can I say that I absolutely love, love, loved this book. Thought provking and a page turner. If I were to write an adult fiction book this is a premise I would love to write about.

Summary: What would happen if you were visited by your younger self, and got a chance for a do-over?

Alice Love is twenty-nine years old, madly in love with her husband, and pregnant with their first child. So imagine her surprise when, after a fall, she comes to on the floor of a gym (a gym! she HATES the gym! This makes me laugh.) and discovers that she's actually thirty-nine, has three children, and is in the midst of a divorce.

A knock on the head has misplaced ten years of her life, and Alice isn't sure she likes who she's become. It turns out, though, that forgetting might be the most memorable thing that has ever happened to Alice.
My next book choice in honor of Halloween is one that is going to qualify for my
Read a book titled The ____'s Daughter or The ____'s Wife
My book choice is called  The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston Super excited to read this one and what a perfect time of year to read it.

My Fall Bucket List
Things to check off my list... Whoop!

apple cider pancakes recipe  - good texture but not enough apple flavor. Think my cider didn't reduce enough. Would add more cider to batter if that happens next time.
I added this one after I created my Fall Bucket List.
These are Apple Cider Pancakes Oh my goodness they were awesome!
We used the cider we picked up from the pumpkin patch last weekend,
Apple Cider Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup reduced apple cider (start with 4 cups of apple cider)
4 tbsps butter, melted
vegetable oil or butter for frying
3 tbsps sugar
1 1/2 tbsps ground cinnamon
extra reduced apple cider to serve with the pancakes
Reduce the apple cider: Place the apple cider (spiced or not spiced, but cider is better than apple juice) in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil and let it boil until reduced to a quarter of the original volume. This will take at least 15 minutes or more depending on your stove and other factors affecting evaporative processes in your kitchen. Remove from heat and let cool. Measure out 2/3 cup of reduced cider for the batter. Reserve the rest for serving.
Make the pancakes: Whisk the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the eggs to break them up. Stir in the buttermilk and milk. Pour the wet egg-milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add the cooled reduced apple cider to the batter and stir it in taking care not to overmix (overmixing makes the batter flat, dense, and tough). Stir in the melted butter. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil or butter in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, pour 1/4 cup of batter into the pan. Watch for bubbles to appear on the surface of the pancake. When the bubbles begin to pop, flip the pancake over and cook until golden. Remove from heat and repeat until all of your pancakes are done.
Serve the pancakes: Mix the sugar and ground cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the pancakes. Add a pat of butter if desired. Serve with reduced apple cider on the side.

We also made Caramel apples with my grandson, Carter:




Carter also helped me to make a pumpkin crunch cake it turned out awesome. Taking it to a birthday celebration tonight. Hope it's a big hit. We serve it with cool whip and caramel sauce Yummo!



 I am going to post a new book list for November I have created for kiddo's.
Books I will share with my grandsons and some I may even share at Kennedy. 

I will change my boo basket of books at home to a turkey basket for our 
November Reading List

1. The Silly Turkey Party
2. Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markes
3.Pete The Cat and the First Thanksgiving By James Dean
4.  Bear Snores On By Karma Wilson
5. Time for Sleep By Lois Ehlert
6. Ten Fat Turkeys By Tony Johnston
7. Cranberry Thanksgiving By Henry Devlin
8.  Turkey Trouble By Wendy Silvano
9.The Night Before Thanksgiving By Natasha Wing
10. Littlest Pilgrim Wendi Doughtery
11. Earl The Squirrel By Don Freedman
12. In November By Cynthia Rylant
13. Clifford's First Autumn by Norman Bridwell
14. Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving By Dav Pilkey
15.  A Plump and Perky Turkey By Teresa Bateman
16.The Story of the Pilgrims By Katherine Ross
17. A Visit to Grandma's By Nancy Carlson
18.Sometimes it's Turkey, Sometimes it's Feathers (My Fav)
19. Thanksgiving Day By Ann Rockwell
20.The Amazing Turkey Rescue By Steve Metzger
21. The Thanksgiving Surprise By Peggy Archer
22.Fancy Nancy Our Thanksgiving Banquet By Jane O'Connor
23. I know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Pie By Allison Jackson
24. We're Going on a Leaf Hunt By Steve Metzger
25.  Mousekins Golden House by Edna Miller
26. Merle The High Flying Squirrel By Bill Peet
27. Leaves Leaves Leaves By Nancy Elizabeth Wallace
28. Leaf Jumpers By Carole Gerber


Happy Reading,

Mrs. Shamhart











No comments:

Post a Comment