Sunday, October 13, 2013

Pumpkins, Bats, Lifecycles and Character Maps...


This week in the library we are still collecting for our soldiers and we will continue until the 15th of October. If you need any information please feel free to contact me.

In the library this week we are working on the life cycle of a pumpkin with Kindergarten classes. We took a picture walk through the book Pumpkin Circle by: George Levenson  and then we watched the movie of Pumpkin Circle a Reading Rainbow movie. The Kindergarten students created the life cycle of the pumpkin. See it here:


In first grade we read the story Stellaluna by Janell Cannon we then created a map of how Stellaluna changes in the beginning, middle and end.
We then discussed the different points of view from the different characters. They did an amazing job.  



Our spotlight book of the week Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day was selected by Mrs. Markley. What a great selection!!! We all have bad days and Alexander is no exception. This book written with wonderful "voice" is written by: Judith Viorst. This story is about a young boy that is having a bad day. Nothing goes his way, and he starts to feel sorry for himself. Even though Alexander has such a terrible, horrible, very bad day, he ends up getting through it, and just hopes the next day isn’t the same.

Our fact of the week was created by first grade friends. After reading Stellaluna we discussed what they knew about bats and we all found this fact interesting. 



 

I finished the book the never list and it was a good read. Not my usual style but that's what this challenge is all about. I really enjoyed it even though parts of it scared me. Cleverly plotted and highly entertaining, The Never List is a haunting psychological thriller that begs to be read in one sitting.  Be prepared. (I wasn't)
Sarah and her friend Jennifer don't appear to be likely targets for a predator. They are already wary and on guard after enduring a terrible car accident. Determined to protect themselves from future trauma, the teens obsessively compile statistics on potential catastrophes (cancer, car accidents, tornadoes) and ways to tip the odds in their favor if disaster strikes. By the time they enter college a couple of years later, they have a detailed list of possible dangers, one that eventually becomes known as The Never List. Never go to the library alone at night, never trust a stranger who wants to help fix your car's flat tire, never let down your guard. Until...
 
 
 I have another friend who completed the reading challenge. Whoop Whoop! Chloe amazing job my friend!

Keep on reading and moving along with the Fall Reading Challenge we still have over 2 months to complete it. If you need to see the list again go to the top of my blog and click on the button labeled "Book Challenge".







      It's beginning to look like fall in Ks. and I am loving it.


Thriller Animation
I found this on You Tube. It is a "Thriller" animation and is so cute and retro. The music takes me back and the animation makes me smile.  I was going to wait till the week of Halloween but then I thought, maybe someone could use it this month as well. Mrs.Willey I hope you enjoy it!


Fall Bucket List is growing and I'm checking this off too.

I have been wanting to do something with my fall wreath. It was just blah... I went to hobby lobby and bought some ribbon and a few things and gave my 2 year old wreath from Target a make over. One more thing to check off of my fall bucket list.


I found this recipe and made it for the soldiers we are making care packages for. This turned out yummo! Here's a link to the recipe if you'd like to try it. I snagged it from http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/

Enjoy and Happy Reading,
Mrs. Shamhart

No comments:

Post a Comment