Thursday, October 10, 2013

Soldiers, Veterans and Donations...


 
What an exciting week!!! This week in the library we talked about soldiers in the military.
We learned about veteran's and Veteran's Day. Yes, I know I am a month early and Veteran's Day isn't until November 11th but we have a fun project planned. We really wanted to show our support  to the soldiers in D-Company 2-1 who are in Afghanistan.

We are collecting items in each classroom to create care packages for the many soldiers there. Teachers will be writing letters of encouragement for each package and many staff members will be sending baked goods to these soldiers. We are hoping that our packages will arrive by Veteran's Day. Donations will be accepted until October 15th. Here is a list of the items we are collecting:

 Items to Donate For Our Soldiers
All items should be new and unused

Personal Hygiene items:
Toothpaste                                                          
Tooth brushes
Dental Floss
Lotion
Deodorant
Hand Sanitizer
Soap
Bath scrubber
Shampoo
Lysol wipes/Clorox Bleach Wipes
Air freshners
Febreeze sprays
Food:
Chewing gum
Protein bars
Energy bars
Granola
Trail mix
Nuts
Coffee (bagged, Beans, K cups, any type)
Coffee filters
Single serving drink mixes (Crystal light, Gatorade, etc)
Beef Jerky
Spam
Vienna Sausages
Doritos
Spray cheese
Other, Misc.
Flashlights/Headlamps
Mechanic/work gloves
Blankets, Sheet sets Twin

We read Veteran's Day by Mary Shue and Courage by Bernard Waber. 
 

We created this poster and will send this picture to the soldiers in D-Company 2-1. All the Kennedy students signed it on the back. In blue you will find words that mean veteran. Anyone who was a soldier in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard.  The words in red describe the soldier.

The students came up with lots of questions that we are going to ask Mr. Hinkle who is in Afghanistan in D-Company 2-1. Kids wanted to know about the planes and helicopters what kinds do they have? What does their housing look like? How many soldiers are stationed there?Do they carry weapons? Do they have ice cream there? And so many more.

This past week we got the response from Mrs. Young's Kindergarten friends.  We were all so excited to hear who they are, to find out more about them and to hear the letter from Mrs. Young. We will be working on our next book for their class. It will have a Fall/Halloween theme.

In the library this week our spotlight book is a wonderful choice from our Kennedy Secretary, Mrs. Pitts. She chose The True Story of The Three Little Pigs by: John Scieszka This is a  spoof on the three little pigs story, this time told from the wolf's point of view. It is laugh out loud funny. If you haven't read it, trust you will want to!!!

Our fact of the week is one that I love to share with my friends who are all beginning to read.
Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham is a classic and when kiddo's find out that it was written with only 50 different words it is funny to watch them try to count them.

I want to let everyone know I am having a great turn out at school promoting the reading challenge. So many of my Kennedy friends are participating. They come in to check out and say I need a tooth fairy book or a book about Fall. I know they are participating in the challenge. It makes me smile.

 This week I am reading The Never List by Koethi Zan and it is a kind of creepy premise to it.
I have been so busy this week I am only 50 pages into it.  But I plan on reading this evening to catch up. I am so wanting to see where this book goes. Keep all your posts and emails coming I love hearing what you are reading and what you all think of the blog. If you don't mind sharing your thoughts publicly you can leave your posts on the blog at the bottom for comments.




Which brings me to my fall bucket list.... I had some amazing pumpkin pancakes for breakfast Saturday morning. Have I said that "I absolutely love fall " yet in this blog? Well, I do! I will definitely be making these again! I also found a recipe for apple cider pancakes which sound pretty amazing too. Here is a link for this recipe.  http://www.tastesbetterfromscratch.com/2010/11/pumpkin-pancakes-with-cinnamon-syrup.htm


I hope your fall bucket list is moving along as nicely as mine is. We are hoping to go to the pumpkin patch next weekend with the grand kids. I finished decorating the library this weekend and will share  a few photos next week. We decorated the house and will be working on the outside of the house this week. We want to take pictures of the grandkids outside.It has been such a busy week and weekend. I can't fit enough in.
 
Enjoy the beautiful weather and treat yourself to a good book!
 
Mrs. Shamhart







No comments:

Post a Comment